Well-being and recharging
A NATURE DESTINATION PAR EXCELLENCE, THE GREATER AMIENS REGION OFFERS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR ALL ALONG THE SOMME RIVER. GET OUT FOR A BREAK AROUND AMIENS FOR A WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY AND DISCOVER THE CHARM AND AUTHENTICITY OF THE PICARD LANDSCAPE.
Walking in the Somme
What could be more rejuvenating than walking in the heart of the countryside, surrounded by rivers, pastures and woodland? There are many walking trails to explore alone or with your family in the Greater Amiens region: a great opportunity to be at one with Nature. The valleys of the Somme, the Nièvre, the Avre, the Ancre and the Selle offer wonderful walking routes, accessible to both beginners and experienced walkers.
Awaken your senses as you listen to the babble of a stream meandering through the meadow, contemplate the open countryside from the viewpoints overlooking the Somme or set off early in the morning for a slow walk in the forest...: come and breathe in nature!
A variety of guided wildlife outings are on offer at the Centre Permanent d'Initiatives pour l'Environnement d'Amiens (CPIE). Learn about the flora and fauna of the Somme and how to observe it. Don't miss the Samara marsh, renowned for its biodiversity.
Recharging on the water
Did you know that proximity to water has a positive impact on your mood? The sounds of the river promote relaxation and are known to be soothing. Enjoy relaxing on Greater Amiens’ ponds, lakes and rivers. Why not try your hand at canoeing or boating?
- Rent an electric-powered boat at the Maison Éclusière in Ailly-sur-Somme or a kayak at the Maison Éclusière in Long for a pleasant trip on the river Somme. Hop onto a raft in Picquigny or canoe down the "Selle" from the Lœuilly water sports centre for some sporting fun experience in a lush and verdant setting.
- Make the most of a break in Amiens, the home of Jules Verne, to explore the Hortillonnages with its 300 hectares of floating gardens. Explore the mosaic of islets and waterways on a guided boat trip in one of the site’s traditional boats.
- Freshwater fishing remains an ideal outdoor sporting activity for getting close to Nature and resident wildlife. Exposure to fresh air, sunshine and water is also great for boosting the immune system! The Avre and Noye rivers and the many ponds in the Greater Amiens area are ideal sites for freshwater fishing.
Strolling along the Somme
Follow the quiet course of the river to its mouth in the Bay of the Somme, one of the Most Beautiful Bays in the World, for a wonderful experience. Cycling or walking along the Somme Valley cycle route provides an opportunity to marvel at the exceptional landscapes and sites along the river.
- With 120 km of landscaped areas punctuated by 30 lookouts and 6 rehabilitated lock houses, the route along the Somme promises an interlude of well-being along the water. Several walks in the Somme Valley will allow you to follow the cycle route in stages.
- Don't miss the ride between Amiens and Bourdon. This 17 km section, starting from the Montière lock, takes you from the prehistoric huts of Samara to the bubbling waters of Piquigny via the Cavins marsh. You will plunge into the world of "Perrine", the heroine of the novel "En famille" by Hector Malo, who loved to contemplate the flight of dragonflies between the water lilies of the marsh.
- Don't miss the ride between Amiens and Bourdon. This 17 km section, starting from the Montières lock, takes you from the prehistoric huts of Samara to the bubbling waters of Piquigny via the Cavins marsh. Dive into the world of 'Perrine', heroine of the novel En famille by Hector Malo, who loved to contemplate dragonflies as they flew between the water lilies on the marsh.
Location de vélos - Maison du Tourisme Nièvre & Somme
Association pour la Protection et la Sauvegarde des Hortillonnages
Cultivated since ancient times by the 'Hortillons'`(marsh market gardeners), these astonishing gardens are...
Marais des Cavins
Outstanding natural site along the Somme valley (going towards the Baie). A maze of peat marshes and pools (one of the...