Skirting south round the Fricourt salient, the 7th British Division captured the village on the afternoon of 1st July 1916. The name Mametz remains linked to a wood to the north-east, a place of resistance and danger. Welsh soldiers captured it on 12th July 1916 after 8 days of fierce fighting with great loss of life. The Chemin des Gallois (Welshmen's path) leads to the monument. This memorial to the 38th Welsh Division, unveiled on 11th July 1987, is adorned with a red dragon, the emblem of Wales. Its wings outspread, it holds sections of barbed wire in its claws, pointing towards Mametz wood, in memory of the fierce fighting which took place.
Free individual tours
- Free car park