Barques des Hortillonnages - Le Jardin des Vertueux
Landscaped, ecological and artistic garden. The Jardin des Vertueux is designed to transform an area of waste land alongside the Hortillonnages into a landscaped garden open to the public where people can learn about traditional market gardening methods.
27,000m2 of gardens divided up into plots, separated by canals in the hortillonnages (floating gardens) in Amiens, included in the Unesco World Heritage list. Previously marshland transformed by man, these 300 hectares of market garden land are now crossed by 65 km of canals. Today there is a risk of giving up tendering these plots: without people’s work, it would gradually go back to being swamps. “Le Jardin des Vertueux” is a restoration project; local volunteers have worked over the last 3 years to add value to it by combining aesthetic appeal, growing organic vegetables and educational activities. Discovering the hortillonnages from the inside: market garden plots, educational areas...
A destination for everyone
• Les personnes en situation de handicap mental doivent être accompagnées en raison de la proximité immédiate de l’eau.
• Les visites en barque ne sont pas accessibles aux PMR.
- Accessible to people with wheelchair
- Accessible to people with hearing disabilities
- Accessible to people with mental disabilities
The pro’s view :-)
Free individual tours
Average visit duration
Languages of the visit
- Waymarked circuit / Signposting
- Free Carpark
- Pic-nic area
- Free parking
Things to do
- Specific theme activities
- Adult workshop
- Junior workshop
- Temporary exhibitions